Friday, October 17, 2008

The Friendly Bruisers

Well, I didn't have a whole lot to do last night. So instead of watching Gilmore Girls like the night before (I know now...) I decided to check out the the rugby game at the local Irish pub as they have more than the 5 channels I have in my appartment. I could quickly tell one of the guys working there was not from around there. My guess was that he spoke English really well. So I surprised him with an English comment and he gladly struck up a conversation. Ben is an Australian guy that is here playing rugby (and actually making some money doing it), working, and just getting some international experience. His French is not good but he introduced me to a group of guys at another table that were all French and play rugby as well. I must say that the rugby stereotype definately held true in this situation. The guys were great and they quickly introduced me to a bunch of people and showed me a time with the Compiègnoise (locals) and some university students nearby. The problem is, (Unlce Mike, you're going to love this...) they want me to join the rugby club with them! Haha...I don't even know all the rules - only enough to watch a game on TV and impress my other American friends. Should I add that two of the guys that I met last night were on crutches - OF COURSE unrelated to the sport...ahem...wink wink... But anyways, it provided me a good opportunity to get to know some people in the community - especially my age - even though their idea of a good time is a bit different than mine. It can get kinda lonely without friends...
Oh yeah...tommorrow is my first shot with the Compiègne Marlins baseball club. I'm playing in a friendly match with B team. Hopefully, I can shake off two years worth of rust quickly. I'm really looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Meg Gongwer said...

I can't imagine how hard it is to be motivated and get out to meet people. I'd be really intimidated. I'm so glad you are making connections and making some good memories!