Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cultural Integration


I'm sorry to say that I finally said it. Without thinking, I uttered the 4 words my friends in the US were hoping I would never say. While around town I suddenly had a chill and stated, "I need a scarf!" I know, I know...I can currently hear the groans coming from State College, Oak Creek, and Erie. Gillespie, I think you want one too. Haha...no man purse (murse) as of yet. I haven't sunk to that level - but I don't make any promises.


In other news, I set my alarm incorrectly again for church. So I walked into church like 45 minutes late. But like many things French, they started about 15 mintues late. It just takes awhile for everyone to get their handshakes and kisses in before things get rolling. And once again, I continue to chuckle at the cultural differences. The church I go to is associated with the Baptist demomination. Although the concept of a denomination doesn't really hold much weight here. You're just Protestant - which I think is pretty cool. But either way, by name, our church is a Baptist one. And proving that there are some similarites the world over, we had a potluck after the service (I think they were given the gift of food fellowship...haha). But what made me chuckle, was that at the potluck, the churchgoers had their choice of alcholic cider, wine, or coca cola. I can't remember those options at First Baptist. Church was a good time. I met some people my age. Hopefully I can get plugged in a bit more.


I determined that my internet connection is too slow to make any Skype phone calls. I tried for about an hour and a half last night with my family and the upload speeds just aren't there on my end. I ended up typing my responses back to them while I could here them on the phone....I know...weird


Thanks again for all your support! It makes a difference.


Love,

J

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all, "i caught a chill". Are you living in France but trying to be British? Secondly, if you are indeed going to sink low enough as to get a scarf then it had better be a dang sweet one. Something ridiculous and over the top...like on with a cup holder or something.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure glad I don't have to give people kisses at church before the service starts!!! You need to start working on B as to his innate "need" for a scarf this winter. I've always love a manly man with a splendid scarf. Love you J. Prayers and xoxoxoxox's (just not before church of course;) A