Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tick...Tick...Tick...

I think the realisation of just how big a life change I am about to undergo is hitting me today. I've frantically tried to get a number of quotes from different moving companies to pick up all my stuff next Wednesday! They usually freak out when they hear that they have only 8 days to get organize for it. I also spent the morning today trying to contact HR in France to verify my arrival in Verberie on the 13th of October. I wasn't able to get through, so I'm planning on making travel reservations on my own through the plant here in WI. To add to the the strange, ominous feeling, I ate lunch today with 3 French guys, and hearing them babble back and forth at light-speed brought back that familiar feeling of language immersion - depending on my mood it can be exciting or downright overwhelming. All these factors together made me realize just how much I appreciate the comfort that close friends and familiar landscapes provide. Sometimes, like now, I can't believe I'm leaving all that behind for the unknown. I often wonder why you don't often hear about Americans picking up roots and living abroad, or why it seems every nation in the world has an American Green Card Lottery. There are a lot of reasons to second guess the decision I have made to leave this great country and life. I'm sure these feelings will come and go with varying degree over the next 4 months. But, honestly, I really don't think I would want it any differently. I have been given this great opportunity to do this, and deep down I know this is an absolute dream come true. Right now, however, its hard to see past what I'm leaving behind...

No comments: