Wednesday, September 17, 2008

L'Abeille Noir

So I got a new bike...I don't expect that to come as a shock to those of you who know me well. But I finally found a great deal and pulled the trigger and got something a little less performance minded (only to a degree of course :) ) and more practical - we'll consider this the MGB of bicycles. Its as simple as they come, designed for practicality, but has a bit of flava-flave to it. The first thing you'll notice is the layout. I largely came up with the design of the bike and had the layout custom assembled for me. As the title foreshadows, her name is "L'Abeille Noir" - the Black Bee in French. There is still a few odds and ends I'd like to do yet with the black bee theme, but I've been fairly busy recently. And as for its practicality, you'll notice there is only one gear. Just get on it and ride, that simple - EXCEPT, the astute viewer will notice the lack of a brake cable. Yep, you got it! I'm riding it brakeless - sounds pretty nuts but you can actually slow the bike down by applying force in the opposite pedaling direction. It's still a strange, yet addicting, experience. So I've begun to use this as my primary form of transportation. Using the bag that helped me backpack through Europe, I can effectively get groceries or run to Wallgreens quickly and efficiently. It'll be perfect in France, living in the city doing errands around town. Anyways, I know I'm a bike geek but I thought I put it up on my blog.


Cheers

1 comment:

Meg Gongwer said...

I love the black bee... its a great name!
Sounds like it will be a part of some great adventures :)