Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A weekend for the memories




Salut mes amis!

We had a plant shutdown last week on Thursday and Friday so I decided to make the best of my four day weekend by heading down to the old stomping grounds in Nantes. Ronan Durand, a close French friend of mine (who also studied in Grove City for a few months) invited me down to see Kervegans play in concert. Now, Kervegans is my favorite French band. They play a sort of Britanic celtic rock that I love (you can check out some of the songs on their website: http://www.kervegans.com/). I saw them in concert two and a half years ago with Chris Bowser when we were studying in Nantes and we received the "special treatment". We got to go backstage and meet all the band members and we got assorted merchandise given to us. So when I heard there was another opportunity to see them, I jumped all over it.

Now in true Jamie form, I had to run the 500 meters to catch the train. This time however, I missed it - always a good way to start a trip. By the way, the train system is about the only thing in this country that runs on time. And the TGV trains are simply a trip (pun intended)...crossing the countryside at 200 mph in a traincar that feels as though its moving at 20 mph is something you need experience to understand.

In short I had a wonderful weekend. Friendships in France are a bit different than friendships in the US. French people don't understand he concept of simple aquaintences; thus this is why many view them as snobby to strangers. Ronan made sure that it was a weekend to remember with wonderful meals, meeting all his friends, gifts, and making me feel as one of his own family. If you're reading this, thanks!

On my train ride back from Nantes to Paris, I decided to write down my thoughts from the weekend. I'll enclose some of those notes:

"...we spent the day driving around running errands just talking, reminiscing, and shooting the cultural breeze. One really cool story from Friday afternoon was when we just happened to pass his grandfather’s house and we saw his grandfather “Bobbi” by the window. So we stopped to say hey and in true French fashion we stayed around for over an hour. When this 80+ year old man found out that his grandson brought his American friend, Robert began telling stories about the war. From stories that included the first time he tasted chewing gum that was from an American soldier to stories of his family members in the “Resistance” against the German invasion; you could tell he was honored to have an American in his midst. Then he began to recount, teary-eyed, how his older brother had been murdered by the Germans when he was 15 years old. Hearing history from highschool textbooks brought to life by the people who experienced its original setting was “impressionant” as the French would say. Not only that, but seeing the continued thankfulness after all these years from those who lived through the hell of World War II made me proud to be an American."

"The concert that night was simply amazing. So much energy! They put on a great show and even gave a shout out and a special song to their Anglo friends (that’s me). I’m the self-proclaimed biggest fan from the United States. I doubt there are too many vying for that title – although they should."

Cheers,
J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Let Them Eat Schnitzel",
Great war story and so Glad to hear that some of the "Elder" French still appreciate the Heroic British and American effort! Many of their and our youthful generations do not realize how close we all were to being lampshades, soap, and speaking German! Remember your family history. Two of your Great- Uncles participated in the European campaign. While Granpa Skyrm along with Gran's 2 Australian brothers, James and Archie participated in the South Pacific Theater. James never came home and Archie was permanently "damaged" while spending 3 years in a concentration camp. Thankfully Granpa return which is why both you and I both exist today! So please be proud as an "American in Paris", you also have deep "roots" in their "Liberation" and curent freedom! Love and Prayers! dad