Saturday, March 21, 2009

Major League...not the MLB - rather the Movie

Baseball tourney in Chartres!


So, I'm trying to figure out how to best describe to you what our team is like. I've never played with a group quite so..."diverse", shall we say. The best way I can put it: Playing with the Compiegne Marlins is like walking onto the movie set of Major League.

For those of you who haven't seen it, let me describe a little bit what I mean. For many on our team, "warming up" consists of smoking a cigarette and walking to your position. If you're lucky, 70% of the team will be sober after the game. If you're really lucky, 95% of the team will be sober before the game. We have a 48 year old Cuban player that swings a mean stick but only plays when he feels like it. We have another 50 year old Cuban, who probably throws harder than I do. I once saw a teammate hit a ball in the gap and walk to first base - but he promptly stole second and third. We have a lefty from California, that showed up out of nowhere just to pitch for us. He dominated the championship game with 12 strikeouts through 7 innings. You'll find that the coach will often kiss you on the cheek. Your can hear at least three languages consistenly spoken in the dugout. Our left fielder owns his own nightclub and wears soccer shinguards under his socks. A third of our team are too young get their driver's license in the US. I once brought sunflower seeds into the dugout and had to teach everyone how to propery eat them - I thought that was a baseball fundamental on the same level as fielding a groundball? I wore eyeblack for the championship game and you would have thought I grew a second head from some of the looks I got. I spend time trying to translate baseball chatter into French. How would you translate the following: "Gett'on one and drive it! Frozen rope right here, whaddha-ya say kid?" I'm really not too sure, but some of the French guys feel left out if I don't at least try...



And then there's me...For those of you who know me well, you know that I only know one way to play the game - as hard as I possible can. If I'm not dirty by the second inning, something is wrong. A headfirst slide is acceptable in all situations. The innings start and end with a sprint on and off the field - not a jog. I am the team's biggest cheerleader (and chatter-er). And always, always, always be aggressive on the basepaths. They gave me the number 1, and I wear it with pride. So you add me to the mix and we're quite the bunch.

Welcome to another part of my adventure I'm living in. I had to smile when I stood at shortstop with the famous Cathedrale of Chartres in the background, wondering "How in the heck did I get here?"

As for the tournament. We won it rather decidedly in my opinion with good pitching and defense. I didn't hit the ball all that well, but we got it done with the glove. It was a ton of fun and also completely exhausting - 4 games in two days. I didn't think I'd ever travel with a baseball team or stay in a hotel with the guys like that again. I've learned not to use the word "never" anymore.


As always, you can follow the team on its website at http://www.cbbc.fr/ including seeing the updated photos...


Cheers



No comments: