Saturday, April 10, 2010

Stars, Stripes and Professional Athletes

The team presentation ceremony for Paris-Roubaix, held in Compiegne, was again a success this year. The festivities are literally held less than a half of mile from my doorstep with all the pro cycling teams and my favorite riders being there. This year I came loaded with my 5 foot American flag hoping to separate myself from the other cycling fanatics that swarm the ceremonies as I sought out my American heroes. I promptly waited with a small group of fans outside the American Garmin-Transitions team bus holding my 5 feet of American nationalism. This alone was quite a sight for a few European photographers who asked me to pose with my flag for a few shots. Then the doors to the bus opened and out walked the usual suspects followed by my man, Tyler Farrar. Tyler is a Wenatchee, Washington native who had a huge year in 2009 winning a stage of the Vuelta and Tirreno-Adriatico, and was 5th overall in last weekend's Tour of Flanders. Tyler, when in form, is probably one of the top 5 fastest men in the world when it comes to a sprint, and arguably the best current American rider. And apparently, my flag-carrying made an impression because coming out of the bus, he walked right over to me and shook my hand. I wished him luck for tomorrow's race and was surprised by his unbelievably warm and sincere reception as he obliged my request for a photo. I was pretty pumped! In the whole star-struck process, however, I somehow missed seeing rider Steven Cozza, another American native - and I'm not sure how I did considering that he was the only rider supporting significant facial hair, let alone a huge fu manchu. Well, after his podium performance I caught him on his way back to the team bus. "Steven Cozza!" I said in my distinctive American accent. He turned and smiled. To my surprise his first words to me were, "Hey, I remember you here from last year!" "Yep that was me, that photo went up on Facebook!" I said as I tried to get my camera out for a photo. I asked if he would mind, and I did my best to snap one off with my outstretched arm. I made briefly made some small chat asking if he was excited or nervous about the race and before long, he and his facial hair were off to the team bus. Upon reviewing the "photo" that I took, I realized in my nervousness, that I didn't change the setting from "Movie" to "Photo" on my camera. So now I have a wonderful 15 second awkward video to document our conversation and photo pose. This is why I'm an engineer and not working for ESPN or another publication. But those two moments alone made my day. Tyler and Steven both broke the professional athlete stereotype with their friendliness and sincerity - chapeau guys!


Tyler Farrar and I

No comments: