Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Lastest European Saga - Cobbles and a Bike


This past weekend was my attempt number two at the Tour of Flanders race course in the Flemish region of Belgium. Other than being known for their Trappist beer, mayonnaise and fries, this particular portion of Europe is known to have some of the greatest bike racing and most fanatical cycling fans the world over. And for these crazed cycling freaks, the Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders) is the nation's equivalent of a second Christmas in April. I wrote in depth about this event in a post from last year. Instead of using the same Jamie verbiage to describe the grandeur and difficulty of this race, I'll let Pezcycling take it away with their wonderful pictures and great commentary which help depict why I believe this race alone is more entertaining and exciting than any stage of the Tour de France (yes, I hear the gasps - primarily from all the Frenchmen I just offended).

In short, this year I got the full dose of Belgium. Last year's attempt at the course was made under a happy sun and rather clear skies. This year's event brought to life all the Belgian stereotypes: wind (lots of it), rain, mud, cold, and...pain. Let's just say that the 7 hours it took to finish the 160 km course took me to my limits as both an adventurist and a cyclist. I literally had to positive-talk myself through a 2 hour stretch where I could no longer feel my legs - except the cramps - and I couldn't stop shivering. Enjoy my suffering brought to life in the following videos:

Thoughts from the top of the Bosberg - the last categorized climb of the race course

My weary summary of the day upon arrival to my car after the finish line

Cheers,
J

1 comment:

Jamie Skyrm said...

I've tried the past 3 days to get the video up but it hasn't been cooperable...still trying