Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hockey First - Hosital Second

The final hockey match of the 2009-2010 season was today against Fontenay Sous-Bois. The last encounter with Fontenay resulted in 3 goals and 5 points next to my name on the score sheet, and needless to say, I was ready for the last lacing-up of the skates for the year. However, I would have a moment to forget before getting to actually lace up those skates.

While sizing-in my stick before the match, trying to remove a pesky section of tape with scissors, my hand slipped and I quite effectively inserted the scissors into my hand...Sometimes I'm not the brightest crayon in the box... Anyways, I managed to get the bleeding calmed to a minimum and jimmy-rigged a Kleenex and hockey tape bandage. Well, the classic hockey mantra of "it's merely a flesh-wound" pervaded and I decided to play through it anyways. Well, some time later I found that not only had the subsequent slap shots opened up the wound, but I had bled through the bandage and also my hockey glove - not exactly the most anti-bacterial environment. In the locker room following the game, even my teammates recommended a medical visit. In short, that's when you really know you're in trouble - hockey players giving you the "Dude, get that looked at!" medical advice.

So I showered and headed to the local emergency room where they stitched me back up and got me on my way in under 40 minutes.

Keeping life interesting...

3 comments:

Robert Pye said...

Seriously Jamie we need to keep you away from sharp objects. If you aren't slicing yourself with a knife or head butting broken glass, then your stabbing yourself with scissors. And I dont understand the 3 goals and 5 points reference.

Jamie Skyrm said...

"Points" in hockey are goals and assists.

Engineering Math ENGR 436 with Dr. Anderson:
5 - 3 = 2 assists

hahah...i seriously can't remember the class number...was that class with Anderson?...I think I still have redos to finish...what a crazy prof!

Unknown said...

Just so you know, I got the 3 goals and 5 points reference...