Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Day of the Bike

This is one of my favorite moments of the year. With the Tour of Flanders last weekend (which I will share my experiences with you in later posts) and Paris-Roubaix tomorrow, two of the five grand classics of cycling sit inposingl in the middle of April. When most people, especially Americans, think of cycling, the Tour de France and the Lance Livestrong images come to mind. But it must be said that while the Tour is the staple of professional cycling, it is so much more multi-faceted and dynamic in personality than that. To take that view would be like trying to sum up the summer Olympics by the swimming competition. The rest of the cycling calender consists of many different types of races with the 5 "Classics" sitting as monumental one-day tests of strength and will. And it just so happens that my two favorites take place on back-to-back weekends just out my back door. What I find most endearing about these two great races, is truely how difficult they are. Flanders and Roubaix are not only long races in the difficult northern climate but they are also raced on the cobbles. Quite simply, cobblestones are not to be ridden on with a bike. But they do. And it hurts. Paris Roubaix consists of 27 different sections of cobbles, totaling 53 kilometers of the pain inducing little buggers. Its not uncommon for the bikes themselves to be stretched past their limits and will break apart from the riders on them. Yes, with hardly a hill, Paris Roubaix is known as the "Hell of the North" - and rightly so. It's the photos during and directly after the race that best depict the great suffering that is endured. These races find the limit of a man's will. Cycling in its finest hour.
George in Roubaix - taken from velonews.com

This weeknd we are celebrating the bicycle here in Compiègne. Today there have been bike specifc flee markets, amateur races, cyclo tours, hobnobing with professional teams, book signings, and of course, Paris-Roubaix.

I am amazed at the accessability of the professional riders. I gathered some items around today to head off to watch the professional team presentations before tomorrow's start. I found my cycling club teamates and gathered with them behind the stage to meet the riders. The riders' willingness to stop and take pictures with fans, sign autographs, great old friends, etc. was definately above what I have come to expect from athletes in the US. While there may have been one or two exceptions such as Tomas Haussler, the 25 year-old overnight sucess story from Cervelo who looked like he just missed the Bon Jovi World Tour bus and accidently found Cervelo's, the riders almost blended in with the crowd.

One rider in particular I was especially excited to see was George Hincapie. For those of you who don't know, George is from South Carolina and one of the finest riders America has ever produced. Yet he hasn't earned nearly the publicity or fame deserving of his talent because of his loyalty and humility. While he could have gone elsewhere during the finest years of his career in search of more money or opportunity, he decided to remain Lance's loyal servant - doing more for Lances' victories than he will ever be credited for. When I saw him approach the stage entrance, for possibily the final year, in his blue team jacket and signature sunglasss, I couldn't help but feel a little starstruck. He walked up to me, I put my hand out while wishing him good luck for the following day. He warmly shook it, a bit visibly taken aback by the American accent. Still acting as a favorite for the race despite his age, I told him to "Win one for the Stars and Stripes!" He cracked a smile as the crowd pushed him on.

Also on the list of things to do on the day was to meet some of the riders from the orange and blue argyle armada - Garmin Chipotle. This young American-base team is the brainchild of Johnathan Vaughters. American riders in Europe don't often expect to hear their native accent, and when the do, tend to be pretty friendly. This combined with the fact that I keep somewhat uptodate on the team, brought me to wander toward their team bus to meet those on the "inside". I recognized the dark-haired guy walking toward me to be Steven Cozza who I saw race the weekend before in Belgium. I admire someone who prefers to race in the difficult unforgiving classics and asked him about his Flanders experience the weekend before. "Its a great race. It was a lot of fun!" he responded. This young 24 year-old is a wonderfully genuine and nice guy. He then turned the conversation to me and what I was doing in France. It was definately a cool moment to have our nation's best, take the time to talk with me and hear my story. I can't imagine that happening in many other sports. It was then that Will Friskcorn, hearing the American accent, popped his head out of the team bus to shake my hand and introduce himself. Garmin Chipotle won a fan today.
Steven and I

In my humility I must also write that I accidently mistook veteran Bradely Wiggins - Olympic gold medalist, multi world champion, and Tour de France yellow jersey wearer - for another Garmin rider and called him Will...oops! Sorry Mr. Wiggins.

But we were not done yet! Our cycling club, CSC, was one of the particpants that helped organize and put on the pre -race celebrations. Thus they honored our team by allowing the young riders (I considerd myself young) to go onto the presentation stage. There, clad in matching team jerseys, we presented French cycling hero Laurent Jalabert with a medal. Monsieur Jalabert was one of the most decorated French riders in history, owning the number 1 ranking in the 90's. I shook his hand and greated him in French. He returned the favor and had some nice things to say. Now how these things end up working out, I do not know. But of the 30 riders on stage, I was the one next to Laurent. So there my face was, plastered all over the huge jumbotrom and televisions for everyone see as he accepted his award. I couldn't stop smiling, it was too ridiculous.

Well, the day of the bike continues. I am off to watch an amateur race through the town square. I may even get a chance to ride in the commissaires lead car. We will see!
Cheers!

1 comment:

Ty? said...

Jamie, can I just say that you are awesome?! Haha seriously dude, I love reading your blog because it's like every week you are living your dream...soundly!! Haha love you bud, on with the adventures!!!